Building & Grounds

Hebron Baptist Church, Union County, S.C. was organized on August 23, 1806; but from then and for several years afterwards it was known as Tinker Creek Baptist Church.

The first house of worship was a 20x30 structure made of logs and was located about two miles south of Union on Tinker Creek, a short distance from the home of Mr. J.C. Edwards.

The organization was both numerically and financially weak. Its membership being about 25 or 30, and its life for many years little more than a struggle for existence. Some of the families who belonged to the church at this time were the Eubanks', Peakes, Porters, and Smiths.

About 1830 a difficulty arose in the church which resulted in it dividing into two factions, and ultimately changing both its name and location.

One faction remained at Tinker Creek and was soon no longer a recognizable church. The other faction began to hold services at a school house which was located on what is now the grounds of Hebron Baptist Church. The pastor of the church after its relocation to Hebron was Rev. Elisha Eubanks.

In 1833, Col. Samuel Beaty gave the church seven and one-third acres of land. On this a log house was built and was used as a house of worship. This was used until 1850 when a frame building 30x50 was erected, and was used until 1905.

1886-1889, under the leadership of Rev. L.M. Rice, several acres of land which belonged to the church were cleaned and planted in cotton. This was cultivated for a number of years and was quite a help to the church in raising money. A "Try Class" in missions was organized during his ministry with about thirty members. $53.18 was raised for missions beside a generous contribution to Furman University.

At a conference in the fall of 1904, a motion was passed that subscriptions be taken for the purpose of building a new house of worship. The vote was unanimously in favor of it. Liberal subscriptions were made and the work went on in a very pleasing manner. The building was begun in March of 1905 and the very first Sunday in June of the same year the house was occupied for the first time. The building was practically completed during the year 1905 though some details were added in 1906. On Sunday, July 15, 1906, the house of worship which had been completed during the year was dedicated. Rev. L.M. Rice, pastor or the First Baptist Church of Union preached the dedicatory sermon from words recorded in Mark 16:15.

A new baptistry was put in the branch that flows near the church in 1905. The deacons of the church at this time were: Jonathan Edwards, L. W. Smith, Thea Eison, J.R. Jolly, and I.M. Mobley. The building committee was L. W. Smith, Theo Eison, Joseph Jolly, S. C. Barnett, C. P. Bishop, J.R. Moore, R. P. Lamb, Stone, C. B. Prince, F. L. Snyder, and E. A. McDowell, Jr.

In 1949 a landscaping project of grading and leveling the land between the church and highway was completed, allowing the church to now be visible from the highway. Not long after this, the road from the highway to the church was paved.

Another step forward was the doing away with the old coal stove and putting in gas heat in 1950.

On February 11, 1951, a Building Fund was started. Several renovations were made between 1951-1952. A vestibule was built, two new Sunday school rooms were added, a baptistry, two dressing rooms, and dining room.

In 1954, a church office and library was put in.

In April 1955, a well was bore, thus supplying water to the church.

On March 6, 1956, the church voted to build a parsonage costing $14,000. The six room brick-veneer parsonage was built by Mr. Reuben Jolly and completed in September of 1956.

During July and August 1957, two indoor restrooms were added to the church; also a stairway connecting the auditorium and basement. This work was done by the men of our church who gave of their time and talent.

In 1963, the driveway connecting the church to Highway 176 completed. Mr. Pinckney Berry gave right-of-way to church. The church voted to build a new educational building; therefore the four room Sunday School Annex was sold to Sumner Memorial Baptist Church. The new educational building, consisting of eleven Sunday school rooms, a nursery, youth assembly, and two additional restrooms was consecrated on March 1, 1964.

Gas furnaces were bought in November 1966 for heating the sanctuary, with provisions for adding air conditioning later. Fans were purchased for use in Sunday school rooms in August 1966.

In July and August 1969, the sanctuary and educational building were air conditioned and a new furnace was installed for the educational building.

A new baptismal pool was installed on May 22, 1970. An air conditioner was purchased for the parsonage in July 1970.

In September 1971, a new city water line was installed. The parsonage was connected, and the church was to be connected later if something were to happen to the well.

In February 1972, the architect didn't recommend renovating the present sanctuary, because the floors were sloping and the walls of the building were out of square due to the heavy roof.

In 1978, the church voted to build a new sanctuary. The church had been using the old sanctuary for 72 years. Rev. Carl Campbell preached the last sermon in the old sanctuary at homecoming on December 17, 1978. On December 26, 1978, the tearing down of the old sanctuary began. Worship services were held in the downstairs social hall while the new sanctuary was being built.

In January and February of 1979, the well pump and well house were removed. The church connected to the city water line.

Dedication of the new sanctuary was held on November 4, 1979 with Rev. Weldon Morgan of Gaffney, former pastor, bringing the dedication message. Services are still held in this beautiful sanctuary today. The deacons at this time were: Dudley Adams, Furman Fendley, Ben T. Jolly, Robert Pridemore, and William Whitney, Sr.. The building committee consisted of Mrs. Lillian Bentley, Furman Fendley, Broadus Gregory, Mrs. Nelle Hyder, and Ralph Jolly.

"A Book of Remembrance" which has a list of contributors toward the cost of the new sanctuary, including memorials for deceased loved ones, is in a stand in the vestibule of the sanctuary.

In December 1982, two church families donated padded cushions for the twenty-six pews. Mrs. J. T. Landrum of Greenville, who was doing the work, offered to pad the three pulpit chairs and two communion table chairs with the same material at "no cost" with the approval of the church.

In 1985, the parking lot and driveway were paved, ten tables and fifty chairs were purchased for the fellowship hall, city lights were installed outside of the church, and a heating system was installed in the parsonage.

March 1987, a sound system was installed; and in October 1987, the carport was enclosed at the parsonage.

June 1988, a new heat pump was installed.  The steeple was also added to the church at this time, and a dedication service was held on June 12.

July 1992, a new van was purchased. The old bus was sold In August 1992.

An organ and copier were given to the church by Carlisle Baptist Church after their church closed. A dedication of the organ and copier was made on November 9, 1997.

January 1999, the cemetery was enlarged, making 350 new burial sites. New platt was made.

July 2000, a new tape system was purchased. This would be a church ministry for people who were unable to attend services.

March 2001, a new lighted church sign was installed on Highway 176.

Due to the generosity of Mr. Ned Skelton in March 2005, we renovated many parts of the church. We purchased a new sound system and built a room over the vestibule to operate it in. New carpet was installed in the sanctuary and new tile was installed in the educational building. The restrooms were renovated and made handicap accessible. Cost for the renovation of the bathrooms was $2000 because most work had been done by the men of the church.

On May 1, 2016, during a thunderstorm, the steeple on the church was struck by lightning. There were already congregants in their Sunday School classrooms and people coming in reported that the steeple was smoking. The fire department quickly came and put the fire out. There was no interior damage, other than water damage from the fire fighters. While the damages were being repaired, services were held in the fellowship hall.

In April 2023, Jeff and Sheila Bates renovated the fellowship hall, giving it a fresh coat of paint.

In 2023, the baptism pool began leaking and after several attempts to patch, the pool wasn't able to be fixed. The church voted to replace the baptism pool. Construction began in December 2024.

Various rooms of the church have been painted and updated.

In 2024, the church approved to begin a renovation of the vestibule and two side rooms. Jeff Bates began construction in October 2024, replacing the carpet with vinyl floors. He replaced the old doors with new in January 2025.